aboutarchives


Monday, August 18, 2014
Food explorations over the weekend @ 12:42 PM




Just the night before, I was randomly suggesting to the boyfriend "let's have waffles at department tomorrow." And he agreed. The good thing about this particular cafe is, they have an online reservation system. Therefore, I'm able to check out the available time-slots and not having the need to call. Worst of all, it's when no-one picks up my phone call or can't even call through. Frustrating.


 Most brunch timings were already taken. Left with awkward timings for us, like.. 9 to 1030am and 3pm onwards. They closed at 7pm.


 I usually like to wake up at around 11am on weekends. However in order to satisfy my cravings for waffles, for this I'm willing to wake up for. I'm very surprised that the boyfriend was spontaneous enough to have brunch at 1030am. Anyway, he's a light sleeper. I remembered he woke up at 915am, while I'm still happily lazing on my bed. Looking very enthusiastic. Bah, not at all.. he was just anxious about his COC (Clash of Clans).


 



I'm a huge huge fan of desserts and I have ordered their signature dish- Buttermilk waffles with premium vanilla ice cream and butter rum bananas ($13.50).


It's one of the best waffles place in town, after reading many food reviews. And yes, I have verified it myself. Even the boyfriend loves it, even though he's not a dessert person. He's more into fatty meaty stuff. The waffles were toasted to perfection- so fluffy on the inside, yet crispy on the surface. I can't really taste the buttermilk, but I must say the waffles blended so well with the premium vanilla ice cream which has this unique rum taste. I love it though... love rum flavor! 






and he ordered D.O.C Breakfast Platter ($18.50). I thought it was not bad! BUT... he was expecting the usual fried super oily thin-sliced bacon.. and he's not a fan of scrambled eggs. Therefore, he wasn't very pleased with this dish. I guess, it depends on personal preference. The bacon used here is thick and less fatty looking, which I like it (as you can see from the picture below). Seems like a healthier choice. Taste a little like luncheon meat to be honest. 













How to miss the order for a coffee lover like, me. I ordered an ice mocha ($6.50) this time because of the humid weather. In addition, the cafe is actually pretty cosy and warm. Probably the air-con was not strong enough. We were being sandwiched in the middle with 2 girls sitting right next to us, on my left and a couple on my right. Trust me, they can hear your conversation very clearly, and we do not call it 'eavesdropping' in this case. Probably the tables were only placed at 30cm apart. Brilliant in a way, it's such an awkward position that people most likely will not stay longer. Eat-and-leave concept. 


Ok and 1 thing to note: I would rather purchase a cup of hot coffee rather than an iced coffee. Iced coffee tends to get bland when the ice starts to melt. Diluted coffee is just disappointing to me.











and it's me again. re-emphasizing: look at my hair ends under strong sunlight- it does not even look dry and fizzy. :P Read my previous entry- review on J7 Image. and yes, nowadays I've been heading out without any make up. Just my eyelash extensions and it's so convenient. Oh.. and I've been using Elizabeth Arden's eyelash serum for about a month, recommended by a friend. Retailing at $134. I'm patiently anticipating for a fuller-looking, longer lashes. 






Joined the boyfriend with his friends for seafood feast on Saturday. This time round, we had crabs at No-Signboard. I realized I'm really not a fan of chili crab (Singaporean dish), weird. And it's my first time trying out their signature white-pepper crab. Yes that's right, WHITE-pepper and not black-pepper. I thought the boyfriend ordered wrongly but no, I was wrong. And I quite like the taste of it, as compared to the chili crab. The chili crab gravy was not spicy enough to my liking... I expected it to be tastier and spicier. His friends who came all the way from HK and TW loved it though. Foreigners love chili crabs for some unknown reasons, which I will never understand. Just like I don't know what's so good about durians... I don't eat that either. 






We also ordered the fried baby squids, so crunchy and sweet (think they fried it with black sauce). The cereal prawns, which is a Singaporean dish too- a must try! Fried to a perfect golden brown and crispy. My first bite: taste different and slightly better as compared to other restaurants. It makes me think that it has got something to do with the controlling of heat. It's really good! 



You probably know by now that.. it's highly impossible that my diet plan will ever be successful. 




about


Ariel Meiqi

(+65)
Eat Well, Travel Often, Shop Fashionably
Still learning, still discovering.



Email: ariel.suey@gmail.com


Editor of Samplestore.com




















seek &inspire.